Thursday, April 16, 2009

Agitated

Madeleine behaved for her birthday...and then decided it was her party, she'd act up if she wanted to! In the evening, she was "agitated" and they sedated her, which didn't make me very happy at all. "Agitated" to me means irritated or annoyed...so I think...check the diaper, reposition her, suction the tube...but she was knocked out instead. I think it was just not explained to me in a way that I could feel ok with...the doctor that night was not easy to understand. I was afraid to ask a question, let alone a STUPID one for fear that we just weren't able to communicate well.

Long story short, this morning, her nurse explained that when she's "agitated"...it means rather that she could be in pain, have a headache, etc. The sedation helps her with the pain of the high frequency ventilator, and all the things that her body is doing that could cause her pain. She said that the ventilator can pain an adult, and so how much more would it pain lil' Peanut?! That made me feel better about the whole situation. She also said when we're "agitated", it means annoyed and the last thing we want is to be medicated! Exactly how I feel.

She is getting some red blood cells today, her little Peanutiness just can't make them well yet...she got platelets this morning. Her body is still "catching up" from when those platelets had to go assist the bleeds she had, or so I understand. They also said a need for platelets could be a sign of infection, but so far no infection has shown up. I remember little to NOTHING from biology class, I was too busy printing pictures to care...and a lot of it is just over my head and that's why I need it explained to me 10 times...unless someone shows me a picture of what is going on, I'm fairly lost.

There have been two peaks to my day...the first came when I stepped outside and found the most glorious package from Aunt MB...loaded with wonderful scripty notes and sweet gifts...how did she know that I'm allergic to practically everything except Clinique?! Fabulous. And, the second was when some nurses were saying how cute Madeleine was...of course I KNOW that...but it's great to hear other people say it...I just want everyone to adore her as much as I do, ya know?!

No comments:

Post a Comment